The Kanban system is based on the first-in, first-out (FIFO) principle. Two bins are set up with nursing supplies, one in front of the other. Products are taken from the front bin. Once the last item pulled from the front bin, it’s placed on the top shelf of the cart. The second bin is moved forward, and supplies are pulled from this bin.
To replenish the supplies, the material handler comes in and scans each of the bins on the top shelf to indicate the items that need to be re-stocked. The count is 100% accurate every time and requires only a few seconds per empty bin.
When the material handler delivers the exact amount needed to replenish the bin, he simply places the full bin behind the front bin; thus, guaranteeing first-in, first-out and virtually eliminating the chances of having expired items.
2 Essential Storage Items for Getting Started with a Kanban System
To get started with a Kanban system, you need two essential storage items: plastic bins and wire shelving carts.
Why Plastic Bins?
The plastic bins are really the heart of Kanban because the two-bin system is what makes everything work so well. Taking it one step further, you can make use of colored plastic bins to increase efficiencies in finding nursing supplies. How is this done? It’s done with color recognition.
Your eyes can recognize color much faster than reading words. And if certain products are in a bin with a designated color, they’re much easier to find. For example,
- Blood or circulatory products in red bins
- Respiratory products in blue bins
- Urinary products in yellow bins
- Patient care items in green bins
- Dressings in white bins
With just one glance, nurses will be able to direct their focus at the product they need.
Why Wire Shelving Carts?
There are a multitude of reasons to use wire shelving carts for your Kanban system including,
- Cleanliness: The wire makes it easy to keep clean, which translates to less risk of damage to your nursing supplies.
- Material Options: With options including chrome and zinc and medium or heavy duty, you can choose the right finish and strength for your storage needs.
- Cost-Effective: Wire shelving carts are generally less expensive than traditional shelving, making it a sound investment for transitioning to Kanban.
- Portability: The wire shelving carts are on wheels so they can be rolled around to any area of your hospital, making it easy to move supplies.
Find Plastic Bins and Wire Shelving Carts at StoreMoreStore
If you are ready to get started with a Kanban system for your medical facility’s nursing supplies, you can find both plastic bins and wire shelving carts online from StoreMoreStore. If you have any questions or need any help, please give us a call at 1-855-786-7667.
And you can also check out other storage systems we have for the healthcare market here.